Complete, utter, unparalleled genius

Being a man of a certain age, CF still retains fond memories of many of the 'real', proper, original video games.


Space Invaders, Asteroids: ohhh, those were the days. To this very day, CF could whup you, and your sorry ass, at the game of Defender

Can't you just hear the little squeak when the humanoids got picked up? Doesn't your hair stand on end at the sound of the terrifying 'Baiter' appearing at the end of a protracted level?

So, it was inevitable that CF would experience a surge of nostagia, a lump in his throat, and a twitch in his joystick, to see what those boys at Google have done today:


Recognising that today's the 30th (what? For fuck's sake) anniversary of Pacman, they've not only amended their homepage, but .. oh this is good .. they've made it playable. Never mind all the synthetic cell shit: this is really clever.

Get over there. Play it. Enjoy it. 

For the full experience, imagine you're in a nasty flat-roofed pub on the outskirts of Bury St. Edmunds, an illegal pint of cider getting steadily warmer beside you, as you work your way through a pile of the old, large, ten pence pieces.


No, no, it's just something in my eye...

.

11 comments:

I am Stan said...

Hahahaha...enjoy red man ;-)

Jill said...

I played Phoenix in the student union bar at Essex Uni!

Chris said...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

One more go...

:)

Dick Puddlecote said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dick Puddlecote said...

I still miss Lunar Rescue. It's one of the only 80s ones not available on some £5 compilation at HMV or Smith's. They do Mappy FFS, so why not Lunar Rescue?

Bastards.

microdave said...

I've still got one of the early video games you plugged into the TV aerial socket. The one that had a couple of hand controllers with rotary knobs, which just moved a "bat" up and down the screen. I think it only has 4 or 5 modes, and 3 different "experience" levels. I got it working recently, to my teenage nephews amazement. Despite being of the Play Station generation they quickly became engrossed with it....

Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs said...

DP - Lunar Rescue - ah, with the big handle to throttle the thrust. Great game, I even wrote that for a PDP 11/23 for a school open day, such was the blossoming geek within me.

Halcyon days, I was in L.A with my folks back in the early 80s - PacMan, Defender, Bezerk, Donkey Kong, a roll of quarters...a boy's dream!

Mahesh said...

PacMan rules.

And, I'll whoop your arse in SI, so fuck off. Concentrate on being furious, constantly :)

Anonymous said...

@Dick Puddlecote:

Step 1, get Mame here:
http://mamedev.org/

Step 2, get Lunar Rescue here:
http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/23660/mame/Lunar-Rescue.html

Step 3, put the two together and wallow in nostalgia!

You're welcome

Constantly Furious said...

I'll see you Mame on the PC, and raise you ... Mame on the iPhone.

Pacman, in the toilet, at work. Yeah baby!

Anonymous said...

I won! I Won! I won I won I won!!! yee haa!!!

what a buzzz...

brings back memories of beating my 19 year old brother when I was 7 on my brand new Atari 2600!!! oh yeah! pwned by a toddler!!!